Tuesday, January 27, 2009

the peasant princess



Mark Driscoll preaches a series from the Song of Songs/Solomon and cuts no corners. If you want sound theological teaching on God's intent for marriage, family, children, divorce, sex, serving, etc. this teaching is the best I have found. This is a must listen or watch for teenagers, singles, and those who are married.


So this series has been spreading like wildfire among Christian culture, but well deservedly. I know everyone has their opinions about Mark, but I am a firm believer in listening or reading to what one has to say before passing judgment. The Driscoll I have heard about and the one I have met in this teaching are pretty different. Sure, you may not agree with all his views or all he has to say, but he preaches a much needed teaching on these issues.

I have passed it along to married and single friends because it has so many great things to say about what relationships and marriage and intimacy were intended to be. A friend told me this fall not to listen to it, it was something only for those who are engaged or married, which of course made me all the more interested in it. (I know I am stubborn.) I wouldn't have listened to it a year ago, so use your own discretion. But I actually didn't start listening to it until December when I heard a lot of great feedback from older single women in my life about how it was ministering to them and allowing them to minister and have a voice in the lives of engaged/married friends. I listen to the talks every now and then, the last one I listened to was a kick in the butt on selfishness and very applicable to nearly any relationship. Check it out!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hey...I still have these bookmarked to watch on a night Ryan's at class. Funny you mentioned how people feel about him...he's kind of our pastor's mentor/good friend. But as Ryan said, both Mars Hill and the Journey are "grounded emergent" churches -- theologically and deeply rooted, not compromising for the sake of being "cool." But we're a little biased ;-)

Kate said...

That sounded really snobby. Not my intention at all.

Mags said...

lol not at all (snobby)

no i know, i really like mark and a lot of the acts 29 guys obviously... it's funny cause once someone is labeled "emergent" everyone has an opinion about him. but i like that term "grounded emergent"

let me know what you think when you get a chance to listen to them!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...