Friday, January 2, 2009

My top 20 reads for 2008

“The man who never reads will never be read;
he who never quotes will never be quoted.
He who will not use the thoughts of other men’s brains,
proves that he has no brains of his own.”

- Charles H. Spurgeon


It’s no secret that I love to read. Somehow this correlates to why I love to write as well. Well, since my secret is out, I usually get asked a lot what book I’d recommend, so here’s my top 20 books I read in ’08 that were phenomenal and really transformed my life:

Life of the Beloved
, Henri Nouwen
Abba’s Child,
Brennan Manning
The Rabbi’s Heartbeat,
Brennan Manning

Holy Discontent,
Bill Hybels
The Radical Cross,
A.W. Tozer

A New Kind of Christian,
Brian McLaren
Sex God,
Rob Bell
UnChristian,
David Kinnaman

Come Be My Light,
private writings of Mother Teresa
He Loves Me,
Wayne Jacobsen
Waking the Dead,
John Eldredge
Soul Cravings,
Erwin McManus

Shepherding a Child’s Heart,
Tedd Tripp
Letter to my Daughter,
Maya Angelou
To Own a Dragon,
Donald Miller

The Wounded Heart,
Dan Allender (for victims of sexual abuse or those who work with them but I would recommend this to anyone with a heart for counseling or working with women since it affects 1/4 of all women and 1/3 of all men. This is by far the best resource on this subject I have found in all the secular or Christian books I’ve read pertaining to this issue.)

Bible studies:


Breaking Free,
Beth Moore
The Patriarchs,
Beth Moore
Stepping Up
(A journey through the psalms of ascent), Beth Moore *very different experience than from doing them on my own, my first Beth Moore video experience in a group, it was amazing!

Devotional:


Streams in the Desert


And we’re not even going to talk about the books that are on my list that I have yet to find time to read but hope to soon! I didn’t write descriptions of the books cause I blogged about most of them, but if you want to know more, holla at a playa.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

Maria Smith said...

your blog looks so cool! how did you do this? i just made one, we will see if i ever write on it, plus i'm pretty sure you are the only one who would read it, but it might be nice to write while jeff is gone.

Mags said...

thanks! if you go to the very top of my blog to the left there a thing that says "cutest blog on the block" i saw that on emily mabrey's blog and was really excited, you go and can pick out a free background, but you have to change your template to "minima"! you should write!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...