Sunday, July 19, 2009

My thought mentors

One of my favorite things about my "thought mentors" is that they give me a glimpse into another world.

As I've already noted, one of my favorite quotes, spoken by the character playing C.S. Lewis in the film Shadowlands, "We read so we know we are not alone."

So I am kicking myself but am sure our paths will cross again.

I was at a spiritual retreat directed by a woman who has become one of my most cherished “thought mentors," but didn't actually meet her. I don't get into the whole starstruck thing and the more everyone kept making a big deal about her the more intimidated I felt in actually, you know, introducing myself, so I didn't it. I was blessed to be at a retreat directed by her and where she spoke and am hoping for another opportunity. But, I digress.

Ruth Haley Barton’s writing comes straight from within, straight from within the throes and frustrations of learning how to lead as God created her to lead and how to lead in the context of the local church or a large ministry…

Her words connect so deeply with words deep within, words I may have never found voice to, but words she draws out.

Every chapter I read in this book is sobering.

I cannot describe it any other way.

Sobering in the fact that it always speaks the truth I so desperately need to hear and always immediately calls me to action, sobering in the sense that it reveals more of what God is already doing in my life, trying to teach me or trying to get me to see.

Today, I was sitting in the middle of my favorite spot and finished another chapter, at the end I could not believe it.

From the time of the retreat, where everything she shared just made sense of the last 6 month fog I had just been through but didn’t understand entirely… as I wanted to take notes on her every word because it was resonating so deeply within and words I had only heard the Lord say and confirm to me, yet to hear them voiced was an entirely different story.

Then I found they were all in her book. EXCELLENT.

Then, this last chapter just made sense of the last two weeks.

I don’t know how things like this happen, but I am incredibly grateful.

It would take me months to blog on the lessons from this book because nearly every other line is underlined. I’m hoping to soon, but for now, check out the book for yourself.


Other thought mentors that come to mind off the top of my head at this hour and authors I'd recommend:

Henri Nouwen
Brennan Manning
Maya Angelou
A.W. Tozer
Edwin McManus
C.S. Lewis
Langston Hughes
Mother Teresa
Sarah Sumner
Dan Allender
Jonalyn Grace Fincher
Among many others...

But, Ruth Haley Barton's, Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership is definitely worth the read and in my top 5 of all time books. I think it speaks to anyone trying to navigate their way in the journey God has them on, leadership in any context, the home, work, church, or not.

--Photo courtesy of Katie Barnes photography

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...