


So today, I'm driving on my way to a support appointment in Centralia, Missouri. I was enjoying the beautiful "fall" but summer feeling day and the peaceful little drive on there on MO-Z.
As I'm rounding a curve, I see a church sign, the first few words grabbed my attention and I had to slow down... I saw, "Jesus had to..." and then read the rest of it:
"Jesus had to raise from the dead...
All you had to do was get out of bed."
Sundays 9:00 am (in small print at the bottom)
I nearly DIED. OMG.
DIED laughing as I tried to continue driving. Are you KIDDING ME? I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. So much that on my way back I slowed down as I neared it just to get another glimpse. Where is your camera when ya need it!?!
And I wanted to call someone to tell them but of course I was in the middle of nowhere, no service. So I just laughed and enjoyed that moment with God.
Re-ally peo-ple. Like, what Bible are these people reading? I'm not gonna judge, but clearly I am already... so I'm a sinner, I'm already aware of that. forgive me. I'm sure there are good hearts in there. Somewhere. And good intentions. Somewhere. But really. And while I was searching for a picture, I found this list that was also amusing but sad. My comments are in italics, pardon my sarcasm.
TOP 14 WORST CHURCH SIGNS
Randy Santiago @ Mar 25, 2008 10:45 PM
Drove around town today and checked out some of cute slogans on some of our local church signs. I had a church sign at a previous church (I hated it), and I thought I'd post the top 14 worst. Here we go...
#14 - “CH_ _ CH - what’s missing? U R” WOW.
#13 - “Turn before you burn!” EMbarrassin!
#12 - “Get saved or microwaved” Uh…where do I even begin with how unbiblical this is...
#11 - “Read your Bible, it will scare the hell out of you.” Now, that's a great encouragement to get people in the word... and to know the God of COMPASSION.
#10 - “Staying in bed and shouting ‘Oh God’ does not constitute going to church.” Seriously, now.
#9 - “Get on-line with God and download your worries.” uhhh...
#8 - “When you get tired of entertainment come back to church." This ones just dumb.
#7 - “Where will you be spending eternity? Smoking or non-smoking?” Honestly.
#6 - “If you’re ashamed to say, ‘Merry Christmas’ then Jesus is ashamed of you.” Pretty sure Jesus and ashamed are never in the same sentence... wow.
#11 - “Read your Bible, it will scare the hell out of you.” Now, that's a great encouragement to get people in the word... and to know the God of COMPASSION.
#10 - “Staying in bed and shouting ‘Oh God’ does not constitute going to church.” Seriously, now.
#9 - “Get on-line with God and download your worries.” uhhh...
#8 - “When you get tired of entertainment come back to church." This ones just dumb.
#7 - “Where will you be spending eternity? Smoking or non-smoking?” Honestly.
#6 - “If you’re ashamed to say, ‘Merry Christmas’ then Jesus is ashamed of you.” Pretty sure Jesus and ashamed are never in the same sentence... wow.
#5 - “Don’t let worries kill you–let the church help.” Well, with your kind of church... okay I'm gonna stop lol.
#4 - “Bring your sins to the alter and drop ‘em like they’re hot.” This one made me LOL.
#3 - “Stop, drop and roll doesn’t work in hell.” Good to know.
#2 - “There are no boats on the lake of fire” seriously? All of these signs are just reaffirming every negative conception that those "outside" the Christian faith have interpreted us to be about, get saved or get out... as outlined in numerous books and studies, especially UnChristian which I'm currently reading and A New Kind of Christian that I read last year. And we wonder where people get these concepts of Christians?
#1 - “A tisket, a tasket, a condom or a casket.” I almost don't want to comment because this is ridic. but honestly, this one just HAD to make God happy...
#2 - “There are no boats on the lake of fire” seriously? All of these signs are just reaffirming every negative conception that those "outside" the Christian faith have interpreted us to be about, get saved or get out... as outlined in numerous books and studies, especially UnChristian which I'm currently reading and A New Kind of Christian that I read last year. And we wonder where people get these concepts of Christians?
#1 - “A tisket, a tasket, a condom or a casket.” I almost don't want to comment because this is ridic. but honestly, this one just HAD to make God happy...
And we wonder why the world has trouble connecting with Christians... just food for thought...
2 comments:
You better not be hating on the first picture. That is amazing, and every church should have that sign up ALL THE TIME. LOL...some of the ones in the list are ridic..#12, 6, 5 (should have used a writer on that one), your comment on #2 is dead on, and #1...I have no words. I'm totally posting this.
Did I tell you about the church I used to pass every day to work that had some of the WORST, unbiblical, theologically screwy church signs? I especially liked "A country worth living in is a country worth dying for" (I like how Jesus = America). I wish I had written some down, because I can't remember them now. Oh well...maybe that's better...
OMG! unbelievable....
Post a Comment