Just the word, “unite” seemed to leap off the page.I feel I say that a lot but I don't know how else to describe it.
You know when you come across something new that you didn't see before or really notice in a passage you may have read several times... I LOVE those moments and revelations.
It is totally the Spirit, and not at ALL anything I can take credit for, for He alone brings revelation and makes His word alive in our hearts. His Spirit counsels, instructs us, while we are are awake and even when we are asleep.
Yesterday I could not get over that phrase, “unite my heart,” and several other phrases as I kept going back and forth between a couple different versions of Psalm 86:11.
I've been going through the One Year Bible, got it at my good friend Olivia's garage sale when she was raising money to spend nine months in Burkina Faso, and have really enjoyed going through it. Each day you read an old testament reading, a new testament reading, a psalm, and a proverb.
I started in a random place because I wanted to start in Job this summer, but every day I just read the next day instead of skipping to the November 21 one, so I could read all of the passages in order.
I've also really enjoyed it because I never own a Bible in the English Standard Version (ESV), so it has been interesting to read familiar or favorite passages and see them take on a newer and fuller meaning.
This passage was one of those examples.
So, I usually read the old testament reading for the day in the One Year Bible, in the ESV, then go to my little pocket bible, in Today's New International Version (TNIV), and read the same reading there.
Yesterday, psalm 85 was the psalm of the day, but I kept reading in my TNIV, as I had nearly every line of psalm 86 underlined.
Verse 11 captured my attention as it begins,
“Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness...”
And “faithfulness” was at the bottom of the page, I'd have to turn to read the rest of the verse.
I just let those words sink in before moving forward as they were so refreshing, like balm to my soul...
"Teach me YOUR way, Lord, I WANT to rely on your faithfulness. That is the desire of my heart, Lord, teach me," I cried as I felt I could resonate deeply with those words and that request.
So then, curious, I wanted to see what the ESV said about asking the Lord to teach us the way, so we may rely on His faithfulness...
And was again, floored.
In the ESV, the beginning of this verse reads,
“Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth...”
I was speechless again... I didn't know that phrase came from there!?
One thing my counselor always says and prays with me, is that I would continue walking in the freedom of the truth... words that have been so powerful and carried deep meaning in my life.
For the Enemy of our souls wants nothing more than for us to remain as slaves in captivity.
The LAST thing he wants is for us to know and find there is another way.
A way, a truth and a life. THE way, THE truth and THE life.
That where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
He does not want us to experience the fullness and abundance of life, of a life lived in Him, no the evil one wants us to remain as captives who will never break free... or walk in the freedom of the truth of God.
He wants us to trust in a lie, as Jeremiah keeps pleading with his people, as he tries to warn Israel to not trust in false prophets, who have deceived them and persuaded them to trust in a lie.
“For you have forgotten me and trust in false gods...” The Lord cries out in Jeremiah 13:25.He just wants His people to know there is a better way. That they can place their trust in Him and not themselves. That there is a life outside of captivity. That there is freedom for their souls, if they would only. If they would only, turn away from their idols and look upon the only One who can truly save them.
But, going back to the verse... I loved how one version said “teach me... that I may rely on your faithfulness...” and another version says it slightly differently, "teach me... that I may walk in your truth...”
Hmmm. That is powerful.
Then, my eyes glance to a word and a phrase I don't think I have ever associated with this passage... in the ESV, the verse continues...
“Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth;
UNITE MY HEART... to fear your name.”
Wow. Unite my heart, why did the psalmist choose that word, “unite.” unite my heart.
Wow. What a powerful concept. Unite my heart because the psalmist is speaking to a reality we are all far too familiar with...
That our hearts are DIVIDED...
We want to do this, but we do another. We want to not say this, but we say it anyway. We want to think well of this person, but we feel this for them...
Our hearts are divided because the battle isn't just between us and our enemy out there, the battle is in our HEARTS... where our flesh wrestles with our godly desires... we are broken and sinful people, desperately in need of His never-ending grace day after day and given the strength and power to live according to how the Spirit, not the flesh desires...
Reading those words reminded me,that our hearts need UNITED...
I just thought the use of that word, "unite," was so powerful.
You don't unite something that is already one. You unite something that is divided. That belongs together.
So that hit me. Then, I turn the page, now keep in mind, I have not read psalm 86 in a long, long time. But it was as if, the revelations above were based on something He may have stored away in my heart a while ago.
I was shocked once again, as I saw how the TNIV finished this verse.
My jaw nearly dropped as I turned the page and saw, after “Teach me your way, Lord, that I may rely on your faithfulness...” psalm 86:11 in the TNIV reads,
“Give me an UNDIVIDED HEART that I may fear your name.”
You have GOT to be joking.
Suddenly, there was so much more truth packed in this tiny verse than I first realized. In my heart, these words started churning:
"Unite my heart, so I can walk in the freedom of your truth and rely on your faithfulness instead of myself.
Teach me, YOUR way, Oh Lord, that I would fear your name...
So that in all things, I would know that You. Are. The. LORD. "
I wrote this verse our side by side with the first half of the TNIV part with the second half of the ESV and vice versa, just so I have this truth on hand, into two different versions but in a much fuller meaning, on hand at all times. I want those words written on my heart and emblazoned in my mind.
Yes, Lord, teach me your way, that I may rely on your faithfulness... unite my heart to fear your name.
(To fear you name, that I would know that YOU are the LORD...)
Yes, teach me your way, Lord, that I may walk in your truth... give me an undivided heart that I may fear your name.
To You be the honor and the glory forever and ever, Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment