Thursday, April 2, 2009

Seeing(red)


A church here in town is doing a series called Seeing(red), I have no idea all the angles these sermons are taking, but anger has been a new interest of mine lately.

You see, anger is one of those emotions I’ve been in denial about. If you asked my friends, they wouldn’t describe me as an angry person. In fact, I’ve spent a considerable amount of energy avoiding anger at all costs. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t still there. Just expressed differently.


Through my recovery group process, it has been unlocking a lot of anger. This is good, but also scary. As you learn how to manage your anger to a point, but when you enter into uncharted territory it no longer feels safe.
But that’s where growth happens. I spent the last 48 hours in a very scary place, I literally felt I was seeing red. Today, God showed me that, my anger in the last two days actually propelled me to action. Why, because “anger is a signal that God has given us, just as pain is a signal. Anger tells us that we’re being hurt, that something is wrong, or perhaps someone is demanding too much… Because we have trained ourselves not to feel our emotions, especially anger, we find that to understand the dynamics of anger, that you have been deeply hurt…”

More on the truth about anger from the National Association of Christian Recovery:


In your anger, do not sin.

Ephesians 4:26

"Living in relationship with other people means that we will experience seasons of anger. Anger is a normal human emotion. It is an unavoidable ingredient of any fellowship.

Unfortunately, for most of us, anger is a problem. We know that anger can lead to destructive behaviors. Some of us have been on the receiving end of verbal and physical attacks from an angry person. And some of us have lashed out at others with our anger. So we fear anger because we have seen the destruction which results when anger leads to sin. We have seen how anger can damage relationships and lead to loneliness.


But anger does not have to be destructive. We can be angry without harming others. Anger can, in fact, be a constructive force in our lives. Anger alerts us to the fact that something is not right. As a result, anger can protect us and energize us to take constructive action.

The fellowship we need in recovery cannot always be conflict-free fellowship. There will be times of anger. And that can be a good thing.


I am afraid of anger, Lord.
But I know it can't be avoided.

Help me to acknowledge my anger
rather than hide from it.
Help me to use it in ways that are not destructive.

Let it energize me to risk and change and grow.

Help me to learn to live constructively with my anger

Amen.”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...