--EDIT-- Had to change the title of this post, was trying to find the perfect word to describe this dance last night, but am wanting to reserve "breathtaking" for a piece that did and still does indeed take my breath away anytime I watch it. This one was breathtaking, as well, but more so I've landed on "brilliant," just brilliant, indeed!
::
Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's top 10 time!!! One of my favorite times of the season and let me tell you -- I have been DY-ING to post a bunch of posts I've started on "So You Think You Can Dance" this season that I will sometime soon, but finally getting a chance to begin doing so now.
But, as I mentioned earlier, this season has single-handedly reminded me of and renewed my love and passion for dance like never before, for many and various reasons. Too tired to write more about it right now (as I was planning to post a lot more posts tonight but my body is making me call it quits for tonight!)
BUT, as I just can't get this performance or song out of my mind (above), here's one of my favorite routines from tonight by Jordan and Brandon, ( a contestant from Season 5 who is an All Star this season,) take on a Dwight and Desmond Contemporary Piece -- brilliant, just simply brilliant, oh my GOSH, I can't tell you all that this piece speaks and moves within me and how many times I have watched it along with the rehearsal footage since I've been home.
And, like a few other Season 8 contestant and all star pairings tonight, these two dance like they've been dancing together for years. Holy cow, the chemistry and artistry between them, they move as one. The raw emotion, vulnerability, and commitment from both of them, mixed with flawless technique, grace, and strength... wow. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
Let alone the dancers, let's talk about the choreography -- the musicality in this piece is just ridiculous, along with the execution. The first 9 seconds still give me chills and I found the first minute or so to be the most compelling.
And Jordan is HILARIOUS in the rehearsal clips below -- and I love getting to see and hear about the process that went behind what sets these two choreographers apart, even in just how they don't use counts and how the fluidity and musicality of the piece shows that -- it reaches beyond the realm of what we would usually expect in a contemporary piece and becomes this piece of art that is just stunning and simply breathtaking to watch. (The concept and meaning for the piece is also in this below)
And what I love about dance and what I love about this art is that one dance can speak to 15 different people in 15 different ways. There are going to be dances we connect with that others may not. Dancers we connect with that others may not -- but that is part of what I love about dance and what makes this art so freakin' beautiful -- it speaks a language that only our hearts can recognize. a beauty that is transcendent, a beauty that is wide, open, and free.
And I am so proud of Jordan! I have been a huge fan of hers and proudly on the Jordan and Missy and Caitlynn fan train alone for a while now, since the beginning, but along with Sasha and Melanie, these three have rounded out my top five favorite girls from this season.
There has been something about each of them from the very beginning that I saw and believed in, and I have been most excited to see Caitlynn and Jordan flourish now in the top 10 because I know there is so much more within the two of them that America needs to see.
We all know Melanie and Sasha are brilliant and I love them to death and still think that Melanie will most likely win, I am also glad that both girls (Jordan and Caitlynn) are getting to shine and show America how talented they each are in their own right. And, I've been dying for Jordan to drop the sexy girl routine and rely on her technique and breadth as a dancer because she is so freakin' good, she doesn't need to prance around like a pussy cat doll when she is dynamic in and of herself.
And what I thought was also amazing is that Dwight and Desmond (two world renowned choreographers that choreograph for the show from time to time), were given a treat this week when they got Jordan and Brandon as their dancers.
As Nigel said tonight, they choreograph at such a high level and this was the first time they had not only someone like Brandon who we all know is crazy sick amazing and can do anything, but they had a contestant, who could also do all of their choreography, and it was the first time they didn't have to water down one of their routines.
Jordan (and Brandon) make this look effortless and her stage presence as a compelling contemporary dancer, her commitment, passion, heart, and depth was on display tonight.
In many ways, I am glad that she was in the bottom for those couple of weeks because something needed to break her out of boxing herself in as "the sexy girl" and trying to establish that as her niche. I would constantly get so upset at her solos because I knew she could do more, BE more and that she WAS more, but that she needed to learn she was enough in her own right as a dancer and that her technique didn't have to be something we saw in routines the choreographer's gave her, but in her own solos as well.
Anyway, it was a much-needed wake up call and tonight in her solo I was relieved to see more of the true dancer within return to the stage.
Will post more of my season 8 thoughts I've been wanting to write and post on here SOON, but for now, enjoy a little taste of heaven, dance, the language of the soul, at its finest! And, alas, the judges comments below, enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment