Saturday, June 20, 2009

do not lean on your own understanding.

but I just can’t see it happening. but I just can’t see how it’s all going to work out. but I just don’t know how it will happen...

and then there came a gentle whisper

"do not lean on your own understanding…"

and the voice reminds me of these words,

"trust in the Lord, with all of your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding…"

as they break my silence reverie.

and then it continues, in ALL of your ways acknowledge him and HE will make your paths straight.


“When your circumstances are screaming for your attention…..who do YOU trust?
Many of us would answer “me”.


Oh I think a lot of us say “I trust in God” or “I believe He’s fully in control”, but when life starts spinning out of control (for big or small reasons) do we really act like it ?

I know for me, often when I am thrown into a crisis, or caught up in a moment of uncertainty – my default is to try to control my situation, to panic or to just whine. I don’t always “live out” what I so easily proclaim.

I think I’m probably not alone…huh?"

I’m so guilty of this. I’m reminded of Joni’s words here from the first time I heard her speak at a women’s ministry I’m involved with at another church. My default is ALWAYS to try and control. I spent hours this morning trying to work several things out and trying to figure it all out.

like it all depends on us. but notice who that verse says will make our paths straight,
this is with money. with support. with several situations in my life lately.


shrouded in uncertainty.

beyond comfort and once again I’m pushed to the limits.
don’t think you know how the rest of the support will come in.
cause I was using the past as evidence. and allowing it to sow seeds of doubt.
help me with my unbelief, i ask. the voice cautions me again, lovingly and gently… don’t think you know how it will happen.
don’t think you know.
don’t look at only what you can see before you. don’t look at what your circumstances are telling you.

trust.
in me.


not in what you can see. not in your circumstances or what you think you know will happen.

it is a choice to trust.
to trust in what we can see or our own resources and strength or to trust in the father. to trust in the only one who can save.

what the father longs from me is
reliance.
I am now convinced that if everything that happens to me is still an expression of his unfailing love, then what he truly desires from me is that I would rely upon him, no matter the situation, nor matter what is going on, or how I may feel about it.

what he desires more than anything is fuller and deeper dependence on Him, His character, who He is and fuller and deeper reliance on Him.

because if we really trust someone, we come to rely upon them no matter what. they no longer have to prove themselves to us. they are trustworthy and we can rely upon their word and who we know them to be.

will you trust me? he pleads with her again.

as humans, our sight is limited.
give me eyes to see, lord. was my prayer earlier today.
I want to see. give me eyes to see you.

when the only voice that matters finally broke through
and told me everything I needed to hear: do not lean on your own understanding… trust in the LORD with all your heart…

trust in the father,
trust also in me.

don’t not let your hearts be troubled…
and do not be afraid…

fear not, for I am with you…

… but blessed are those who trust in the lord
whose confidence is in him…

the lord surrounds his people
those who trust in his unfailing love…

those who put their hope in the lord
will never be put to shame

..for I have made the lord my refuge…

do not lean on your own understanding…
trust the lord with all your heart…

my hope comes from him…

in the lord I place my trust.

you are my rock
my provider.
my redeemer and my deliverer.
my closest friend.
my shelter and my protector.
my advocate.
my healer.
my leader and my guide.

when I am afraid, I will trust in you.
into your hands I commit my spirit


IN THE LORD
I PLACE MY TRUST...

MY CONFIDENCE IS IN HIM.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...