
This passage has been speaking to me a lot in the last couple of days. Often times the phrase, The Lord is my Shepherd will bring me comfort in certain moments, just a reminder that He is the One leading and guiding me. The other day this passage stuck out and kept playing in my mind as I was enjoying some moments in silence with God and allowing my soul to settle in His presence. It was one of those moments where I realized how much had changed and was changing in my life and my heart as a result of the last few weeks, yet a moment that brought a strange peace, I heard just nine words in my heart that were able to still and calm the chaos... "The Lord is my Shepherd... He restores my soul... and then it continued...
I read through this psalm and resonated with all the words beautifully expressed. These words became life to my soul... as I could truly say, yes, the Lord and Him alone, is my shepherd. No one else is leading my life, from this point forward, I am following only Him. Only He is authority. His voice is the only One I want to listen to and the only One I want to follow. And then I felt the work of the Spirit warming my heart and reminding me of His presence there with me, as I read on...
Yes, he makes me lie down in green pastures, yes, I could say in agreement, he leads me beside quiet waters, the waters that bring life to my soul and make me new and whole again. Yes, through it all, He restores my soul... Yes, even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I don't have to fear the evil surrounding me, for yes, God, you are with me.
And let's stop there for a moment. There have been so many times in the last few weeks where literally I felt like I was walking through the valley of the shadow of death. The darkness and physical and emotional pain was alarming. Yet the only thing that got me through is knowing that Yes, you are with me. Even though.... yet you are WITH me... I don't know if there have ever been more powerful words of promise written. And it continues, your rod and your staff, they comfort me... my cup overflows, surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life... and I will dwell... I will rest, I will commune, I will dwell int he house of the Lord. Forever. Amen.
It also struck me that the psalmist writes here entirely in present tense. Even just the first line, the Lord is my shepherd... not was, not will be, but IS. He is presently walking with me through the nooks and crannies of life. He is with me now. Presently. The psalmist rejoices and says, look at who He is, look at what He does... for me and for you... The Lord IS my shepherd... I lack nothing, he says. He MAKES me lie down... He LEADS me beside quiet waters... He GUIDES... He RESTORES my soul... Even though right now, currently, presently I walk through the valley of the shadow of death... I will fear no evil, for your rod and your staff, they COMFORT me....
These are words mixed with rich promises. Present observations and rich promises. I will fear no evil when I encounter it, for you are with me now. The Lord is my shepherd, only You can lead and guide me. Only you can restore my soul. Only you know and can lead the way. I desire and want only You. May I dwell in the house of the Lord forever. For you alone are God and You alone are good. Your mercy never fails. Your love is unending and you lead me to a place of peace and rest, you gently and tenderly lead me to a place of hope and healing. A place of redemption and renewal. A place of inner security and calm. A place where only You and I can dwell.
No comments:
Post a Comment